Sunday 18 October 2009

Champions Day

Yesterday I had kindly been invited to go to Newmarket Horse racing, by a friend who works for the "Darley" racing yard, for Champions day. It was a bit of a mad rush to finish work that morning and get home and change, before hopefully getting there before the 1st race at 1:50pm but we made it. It could have been a bit warmer and a lighter wind, but it could have been a lot worse too, as there was a couple of spots of rain, but it was mid October.
A look at the horses in the paddock/parade ring and I still had no better idea which one to put my money on, and generally opted to put £5 on one and £2 on another to win. I had planned on backing 2 particular horses in 2 different races, but neither of them won.
In fact I didn't have a winner all day, although I came very close in one race that generated a little bit of excitement, before it got caught on the finish line. My friend only had a place in 1 race that didn't return much.
It was the 1st time I had gone this year, and was a thoroughly enjoyable day." Thanks" to my friend for the ticket, same time next year, or the guineas ? ;-)

No.5

2 comments:

grumpyoldwoman said...

I generally bet on the horse that 'relieves itself' in the parade ring - he/she will weigh less and therefore run faster. Doesnt always work as I sometimes manage to back the 'polite' horse - the one that says 'after you' to all the other runners...............

c.w.s. said...

Interesting blog!!!